- Banking & Commercial
- Business & Transactional
- Estate Planning & Probate
- Excel Title
- Real Estate
- Tax Planning & Compliance
- Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law; Commercial Litigation, Crestview Hills (2012 – 2021)
- Cincy Business Magazine’s Leading Lawyers Award in Banking since 2004
- Kentucky Bar Association (Audit Committee)
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Cincinnati Estate Planning Council
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce
- Jeanne d’ Arc Residence, a ministry of the Sisters of Divine Providence of Kentucky, Board
- Member, Past Chair, Freestore Foodbank, Board of Trustees
- Member, Freestore Foodbank Foundation Board of Trustees
- Member, Baptist Life Communities Board of Directors
- Member, Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Board of Advisors
- Treasurer, Executive Committee Member, Northern Kentucky Tri-County Economic Development Corporation (Tri-ED)
- “Use of Trusts in Ohio and Kentucky” – Geneva Group International, North American Conference, Vancouver, Canada, June 28, 2017
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- J.D., University of Kentucky
- B.A., Thomas More College, cum laude
Jim is the former managing partner and current DBL Law partner practicing extensively in the areas of Banking & Commercial, Business & Transactional, Estate Planning & Probate, Real Estate and Tax Planning & Compliance. He presents profit and nonprofit entities and individuals in financial transactions, business mergers and asset acquisitions and sales, and real estate acquisitions, and simple and complex development projects. Jim works with clients on estate planning and probate matters as well as general business and tax matters. He also provides guidance for entity structuring, reorganization, owner and employee buy/sell arrangements, and management and owner succession.
Jim has successfully guided clients through a number of significant matters, including:
- The land acquisition, development, leasing, and financing of various real estate developments including the Kentucky Speedway motor sports complex.
- The restructuring and succession planning for family-owned businesses and related estate planning.
- Charitable giving, including establishing charitable remainder trusts.
- Various transactions in the healthcare industry, including bond financing, physician practice mergers and acquisitions.
- Diverse joint ventures, sales, mergers and acquisitions in other industries including the sale of a sports complex, the strategic purchase by an industrial valve sales and manufacturing company of an industrial valve servicing company, the acquisition by a specialty paper company of a New England division and the site acquisition and construction of franchised restaurants.
Jim has extensive and varied experience in representing financial institutions in all types of financing transactions and in troubled asset workouts. Jim’s experience includes the structuring of financing of a floating restaurant and entertainment complex with U.S. Coast Guard registered vessels on a publicly owned leasehold; and its eventual unwind through bankruptcy with no loss to the financial institutions he represented.
Jim has always been active in the community and has served and continues to serve on a number of charitable and community boards. He resides in Edgewood, Kentucky with his wife and has three children and nine grandchildren. Jim also annually leads a mission trip to Jacob’s Ladder, a residential community in Jamaica for severely disabled adults operated by Mustard Seed Communities, where his team has been constructing new residencies.
It is all too easy to toss aside a commercial real estate purchase agreement once signed. However, it is important for the purchaser of commercial real estate to be aware of the terms of the agreement. One of the most critical terms is the deadline by which the purchaser must complete its due diligence for […]
The Greater Cincinnati real estate market has seen strong growth despite industry setbacks caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Real estate professionals attribute this to low interest rates and inventory shortages. While the longevity of the current growth is unpredictable, the need for title companies is constant. What do Title Companies do? Through their title agents, […]
Excel Title Services has expanded its regional footprint, opening an office in West Chester Township’s Towne Centre Square. Excel Title Services, LLC, is a full-service title company serving Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. Licensed title insurance agents and real estate attorneys offer a range of services to owners, purchasers, lenders, developers, and builders, including: Senior Title […]